Regulatory Compliance Accountant
Date Posted: December 1, 2022
Reports To: Tax, Accounting and Compliance Manager
Location: Waterloo (Brussels)
Looking for an interesting job full of challenges in an international company that treats its employees like family?
Look no further! We have you covered.
Who are we?
We are Methanex, the world’s largest manufacturer and distributor of methanol.
But what is methanol? Methanol is a chemical compound present in your everyday life, be it in your furniture, car and even solar panels. Plus, it is also an innovative, clean-burning energy solution and is used to power cars, buses, trucks and ships that transport people and goods around the world.
Our global presence means we are active in North America, Asia Pacific, Europe and Latin America. Doing business all around the world does not mean we lose sight of what is important to us: people. Our organization in medium sized regional offices allow us to work in a dynamic, multicultural, and caring environment. Regarding Belgium, our offices are located in Waterloo. From there, our European team oversees the management and administration of Methanex’s sales and logistics operations in Europe.
At Methanex, we hold Responsible Care in high regards. We make sure that our members feel valued and work in a safe environment and that our stakeholders are educated regarding methanol. We also have multiple initiatives linked to environment and social responsibility. If those tickle your interest, you are more than welcome to read our sustainability report and find out more!
Now, if a challenging position dealing with European accounting and taxes sounds interesting to you, this might just be your lucky day as we are currently looking for our next team member!
What position will you have?
You will be a Regulatory Compliance Accountant.
Reporting to the Tax, Accounting and Compliance Manager, you will have responsibilities regarding European VAT, Customs and Regulatory Compliance. In addition, we will involve you in Methanex’ Internal Control and SOX testing.
Let us not forget that you will be part of various internal optimization projects on your areas of expertise and cross department/region projects.
Your key responsibilities will be split into two main categories:
VAT & Customs Compliance
- Support all customs/trade compliance matters in EU through continuous improvement innovations & best practices;
- Support Manager Tax, Accounting and Compliance and Finance Manager in all tax matter for Europe.
- Co-ordinate with fiscal advisers, the VAT activities for European entities and ensure timely submission of returns in the different countries;
- Ensure submission of Intra stat returns and national statistics;
- Work with customs brokers ensuring accurate and timely submission of import/export customs documents;
- LeadOracle transactions coding and solves VAT related issues;
- Ad hoc value creation projects to be identified in the field of compliance (e.g. optimization initiatives in customs & VAT activities)
Internal Controls Compliance
- Coordinate annual SOX narratives review and update by process owners;
- Assist with interim, roll forward, and year end SOX testing;
- Contribute to month-end reporting activities with the booking of accounting entries (e.g. fixed assets, audit & tax fees accruals, bank transactions)
- Ad hoc value creation projects to be identified in the field of compliance (e.g. sox controls in business processes)
Your experience and hard skills
- You have a university degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or General Business; or equivalent by experience.
- 2 to 7 years’ experience with an international company where multiple currencies involved is needed as well as knowledge of Tax regulations and trade compliance regulation.
- You are fluent in English and at least one other European language.
- You use Microsoft Excel and an ERP system such as PeopleSoft or Oracle.
- You ideally know a bank payment system.
Your personality and soft skills
- Accuracy and detail orientated are a must.
- You are results driven and have a desire to succeed
- You are able to develop strong peer relationships in a dynamic and diverse team environment where teamwork is highly valued
- You are proactive to stay up-to-date with legislation and new rules (Tax & Accounting)
- You have a strong sense of consistency, ethics, and personal integrity.
Please send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
At Methanex, we believe in our People and we live our core values of Trust, Professionalism, Respect and Integrity!
Apply for Regulatory Compliance Accountant
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.