Date Posted: February 15, 2023
Closing Date: March 15, 2023
Reports To: Lead Process Engineer
Duration: Full- time, Permanent
The Process Engineer supports the Lead Process Engineer in identifying methods that optimize plant operating conditions to achieve maximum efficiency and productivity on a daily basis while minimizing risks to people, equipment, and the environment.
- Support the manufacturing department to achieve daily excellence in plant operation by tracking and proposing process changes to meet established targets in plant rate and energy efficiency.
- Provide engineering input into troubleshooting operational problems, plant upsets, and plant shutdowns/startups.
- Participate in the development of process-related procedures (e.g. catalyst reduction, catalyst loading/unloading) and other site procedures.
- Provide process engineering support, including equipment sizing, for plant changes using the Plant Change Request procedures.
- Provides guidance to junior engineers in the development of monitoring tools and studies to investigate plant rate and efficiency changes.
- Provides input to the plant monitoring report
- Ensures all assigned Projects are managed such that the safety, quality, cost and schedule targets are achieved.
- Utilizes the Management of Change and Manufacturing Capital Management Process (MCMP) to progress projects from initiation to completion.
- Provides support for engineering document review and authentication.
- Provides input to Global Experts with respect to the design of process equipment
- Improves the safety in design performance of Methanex Medicine Hat through the application of learnings from incidents at other sites
- Provides technical assistance and leads investigations and correction of incidents.
- Leads Process Hazard Analysis studies, such as Hazard and Operability Analysis (HAZOP) or Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), to identify and minimize risk and mitigate hazards throughout the plant, including plant revalidation HAZOPs
- Actively involved in the 20 elements implementation and ongoing requirements of PSM (eg. Process Knowledge Management)
- Prepares documentation for government reporting regarding released to the environment
- Participates in Process and Non-Process Safety Audits, as per the assigned schedule
- Ensures implementation of relevant Engineering, Projects & IT procedures
- Networks with other Process Engineering Teams at Global Methanex sites to the mutual benefit of all sites
- Provides financial analysis and/or feasibility studies for plant projects
- Prepares contracts with the supervisor’s input
- Provides input to annual budget planning process
- Ensures consultants and contractors engaged by Process Engineering comply with Methanex policies, procedures, and applicable standards
- Effectively communicates current activities and policies through regular correspondence with the Technical Team
- Provides mentoring to GITs, Engineer I, II, and III on all aspects of process engineering
- Ensures project work is implemented in accordance with Methanex procedures, Methanex Project Standards (MPS), International Standards, and Alberta legislation
- Ensures compliance with all Pressure Equipment Integrity Management (PEIM) responsibilities, relative to the role, as per the PEIM Manual.
- Prepare reports to the government on releases
- Undertakes all aspects of the role through living the Methanex values
- Contributes to the organizational vision of Global Methanol Leadership and as a team member demonstrates the core values of integrity, trust, respect and professionalism
- Conducts all business in a manner which supports the Responsible Care® ethic
- Remains current with all safety and procedural training related to the role
- Actively participates in the site’s behavioral-based safety program, Everyone Owns Safety (EOS), by completing safety observations on a monthly basis
- Understands the Global Environmental Policy and how it affects operation of Methanex Medicine Hat
- Leads incident investigations and root cause analysis
Experience and Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering
- Eligible for P. Eng. membership with APEGA
- 7-10 years engineering experience, with at least 6 years working in gas processing facility
- Relevant experience with Process Modelling software such as Aspen HYSYS and Aspen Exchanger Design and Rating, or equivalent
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software, particularly Excel, Word, Outlook, and Visio
- Competency with hazard review/analysis software (PHAPro is preferred)
- Customer-focused; dedicated to exceeding the expectations of internal and external customers
- Excellent written and verbal communication and listening skills
- Strong ability to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships, including strong team collaboration skills within diverse teams
- Independently motivated and action-oriented, evidenced by a consistent ability to meet deadlines and achieve results under pressure and time constraints
- Strong time management, planning and prioritization skills with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple, sometimes competing, priorities and readily adapt to change while maintaining a high level of efficiency and productivity
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to work with a high degree of accuracy
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as sound judgment and a demonstrated ability to make valuable recommendations and decisions based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom and experience
- Demonstrated respect for cultural differences
- Personal commitment to ongoing self-development and demonstrated learning agility
Apply for Process Engineer
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.