Health & Safety Specialist
Date Posted: March 7, 2023
Reports To: Responsible Care Manager
The Health and Safety Specialist is responsible for implementation and monitoring of Methanex USA Industrial Hygiene and Safety programs. This position will ensure the compliance of Health and Safety programs, as well as work closely with Operations and Maintenance personnel.
- Maintains industrial hygiene and personal safety aspects of the Methanex Geismar hazard management process.
- Maintains professional knowledge and awareness of technical developments in the management of industrial hygiene and personal safety.
- Benchmarks with industry to identify industry best practice and determine suitability for Geismar site implementation.
- Promotes hazard awareness and compliance through communication of and training in industrial hygiene and personal safety programs.
- Responds to industrial hygiene and personal safety incidents, providing advice and investigation support.
- Ensures full compliance with all aspects of the global Methanex Work Safety Control System.
- Provides an adequate Responsible Care presence in process units by walkthroughs, WSCS permit inspections and RC audits.
- Identifies requirements for further risk assessment as appropriate.
- Ensures a high degree of safety is maintained at the Geismar facilities by providing advice to employees and contractors on all safety matters.
- Ensures the Geismar Facilities have comprehensive Safety and Health procedures by:
- Initiating the development of new procedures for emerging topics and new areas.
- Maintaining appropriate safety programs and monitoring their effectiveness.
- Maintaining relevant Safety and Health procedures.
- Providing training for all employees and contractors on relevant Safety and Health procedures.
- Ensuring procedures comply with regulatory requirements.
- Provides expert advice to employees and contractors in the effective use of PPE, fall protection equipment, chemical protection and respirators, including training, specifications, standards and auditing.
- Administers the Safety Inspection program.
- Leads and assists with incident investigations defining root causes and developing corrective actions.
- Develops, organizes, implements and executes the Geismar site Safety Orientation for both internal and external site visitors and employees.
- Conducts Safety audits in support of Methanex’s Responsible Care audit plans.
- Proactively looks for continuous improvement opportunities to Methanex Safety controls and procedures.
- Works closely with all contractors to ensure contractor safety compliance. This includes the quarterly contractor safety meeting and vendor qualification approval process.
- Implements and maintains an industrial hygiene management strategy and ensures that regular comprehensive industrial hygiene surveys are conducted on site.
- Provides expert advice on industrial hygiene legislation and standards.
- Implements and maintains a physical ergonomics program in collaboration with the Occupational Health Nurse.
- Proactively looks for continuous improvement opportunities to the Methanex Geismar Industrial Hygiene program.
- Ensures procedures are in place and kept current for hazardous material management.
- Functional safety expert for the manufacturing organization.
- Responsible for development and implementation of a Behavior Based Safety program for the Geismar site.
- Provides ongoing advice and counsel with respect to the efficiency and improvement of the BBS program.
- Coordinates the review and updates for the Responsible Care department procedures.
- Maintains first responder training and skills.
- Assists with the coordination of all first responder and site wide first aid training.
- Provides emergency support to the medical center to cover immediate response to injuries.
- Ensures legislative key contacts initiate change to ensure compliance. Monitors said compliance on an ongoing basis.
- Liaises (in person or via team) with outside organizations and government agencies to ensure Methanex Geismar complies with current and changing relevant legislation and makes submissions on proposed changes.
- Communicates proposed changes and/or updates as defined in the Corporate Legislative Compliance System.
- Contributes to the organizational vision of Global Methanol Leadership and as a team member demonstrates the core values of integrity, trust, respect and professionalism.
- Undertakes all aspects of the role through living the Methanex values.
- Conducts all business in a manner which supports the Responsible Care® ethic.
- Develops a thorough understanding of all activities associated with the Responsible Care group to become an effective team member and add maximum valve to the Methanex organization.
- Conducts assessments and presents safe methanol handling seminars on behalf of Marketing & Logistics in support of Methanex’s product stewardship program.
- Networks with other Methanex sites to the mutual benefit of all sites.
- Responsible for ensuring awareness of all controlled documents relating to this position as per Document Awareness Report from Document Management Database.
- Contribute to the ‘operational excellence’ for Methanex Geismar as an effective member of the Responsible Care department.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health & Safety, Industrial Hygiene, or other related field; OR equivalent related work experience/combined education.
- Professional designation or certification in Occupational Health & Safety or Industrial Hygiene preferred (GSP, CSP, CIH, OHST, etc.).
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a health and safety role, preferably in chemical manufacturing.
- Organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to prioritize workloads.
- Time management skills.
- Ability to work nights and weekends to support plant turnarounds and projects as needed.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to liaise appropriately with internal and external clients, agencies and stakeholders at all levels.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills including public speaking.
- Proficiency in Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Enthusiasm, initiative, flexibility and adaptability.
- Ability to work within in a team environment, as well as independently, with minimal supervision.
- Capacity to exercise sound judgment, initiative and problem-solving skills.
By clicking “Apply Now” you will be redirected to the Jobvite website to apply for this position.
Apply for Health & Safety Specialist
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.