Graduate in Training, Electrical/Process/Mechanical Engineering
Date Posted: January 10, 2023
Closing Date: February 21, 2023
Reports To: Engineering Group Lead
Duration: Full- time
As a Graduate in Training at our Methanex Medicine Hat site, you will have the unique opportunity to apply the learnings from your post-secondary engineering studies in a hands-on industrial environment where the protection of people and the environment is a primary focus. You will develop a sound base of technical expertise within your engineering discipline, while also working on challenging cross-functional assignments that will expose you to the entirety of our engineering processes and wider business operations. You will strengthen your ability to collaborate effectively in teams, develop quality work relationships, manage projects, and start providing fresh ideas and suggestions to ensure Methanex remains a world-leading organization. Designed to foster your professional growth, build your technical depth, and enhance your leadership abilities, the program will develop your knowledge and understanding of the overall business and prepare you for greater accountabilities.
The Graduate in Training program is a two-year development and training program, following which the position evolves into a discipline-specific engineering role. Anticipated commencement is May 2023 for candidates currently completing their final year of studies; earlier commencement will be considered for those candidates having already graduated in the preceding two years since May 2021.
The Graduate in Training program is open to graduates from the engineering disciplines of chemical/process, mechanical, and electrical.
Graduate Process Engineer
You will be assigned a selection of process engineering work – from taking part in energy efficiency projects to solving plant-related process issues or working with static and rotating equipment. You will monitor and evaluate the operation of critical equipment using computer-generated modelling, provide process calculations for modifications and plant design, and support projects at various stages from design to close out through the provision of process engineering expertise and project management support. You will learn about and participate in risk assessment and process hazard analysis, and working within a skilled team, you will develop solutions and complete designs to international standards.
Graduate Mechanical Engineer
You will gain exposure to a mixture of mechanical engineering tasks throughout the Medicine Hat plant, including energy efficiency projects, piping modifications, and working with static and rotating equipment. You will learn how various mechanical systems work within a major petrochemical facility and develop solutions related to mechanical systems. Working within an experienced team, you will start by assisting with projects and soon move up to managing them from start to finish – enhancing your technical and project management experience.
Graduate Electrical Engineer
You will contribute to a variety of electrical and instrumentation engineering activities related to the design and modification of control systems that improve the reliability, safety, and performance of site equipment. You will be exposed to the design stages of research, estimating, detailed engineering, procurement, construction, commissioning, and project closeout. Working collaboratively within a talented team, you will first support and then move on to coordinating and facilitating projects. You will coordinate with a variety of departments, oversee contractors, and participate in one or more site teams, allowing you to develop a solid understanding of the wider business.
- Undergraduate degree in engineering, with an anticipated completion date by May 2023 or within the past two years since May 2021, in one of the engineering disciplines of chemical/process, mechanical, or electrical (controls option preferred)
- Previous team collaboration and/or leadership experience in an academic, extra-curricular or employment environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of programs
- Some awareness of safety culture within an industrial environment
- Some understanding of project management fundamentals would be an asset
- Demonstrated learning agility and a personal commitment to ongoing self-development evidenced by a drive to achieve career goals, a willingness to accept and action feedback, and an appreciation of the challenge associated with unfamiliar tasks and problems
- Superior problem solving and critical thinking skills supported by sound judgment and an ability to make valuable recommendations and decisions based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, and experience
- Creative and innovative thinking, offering new, different, and fresh ideas that see past the obvious and add tangible value
- Strong drive for results demonstrated by a motivation to consistently exceed identified goals and the expectations of internal and external customers
- Outstanding organization, prioritization, planning and time management skills evidenced by a consistent ability to meet timelines and the perseverance to achieve objectives in spite of challenges
- Strong ability to adapt effectively to change, flexibly respond to new experiences and evolving circumstances, and take action even in the absence of all of the information
- Excellent ability to quickly build rapport, foster and maintain positive and effective relationships, and collaborate meaningfully within a team
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated by an ability to listen effectively, accurately communicate messages, write clearly and succinctly, and perform effectively in a variety of presentation settings
- Understanding, respectful and at ease with differences in culture and people
Apply for Graduate in Training, Electrical/Process/Mechanical Engineering
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.