Control Systems Specialist
Date Posted: January 20, 2023
Closing Date: February 19, 2023
Reports To: Instrumentation/ Electrical Supervisor
Duration: Full- time, Permanent
The Control Systems Specialist manages the maintenance and development of standards, procedures, and relevant documentation relating to the Methanex Medicine Hat site. The successful candidate ensures the maintenance, storage, and distribution of DCS critical drawings are properly controlled while providing expert knowledge, advice, and direction to management and co-workers on configurable control systems.
- Provide administration of the main plant safety and control systems that includes system software, system configuration, and graphics archiving per site policy
- Troubleshoot safety and control system failures with Maintenance/Technical/Operations personnel
- Monitor and maintain site control system architecture (safety system, DCS, 3rd party equipment)
- Collaborate closely with Process and Operations teams in the analysis of plant trips/upsets, including sequence of events and historian data gathering and analysis
- Tuning control loops to achieve safe and stable operation
- Provide field support to maintenance personnel when troubleshooting issues with instrumentation
- Provide support in the use of AMS
- Implement procedures and policies in accordance with vendor recommendations, Global Methanex Standards, and industry-recognized best practices to maintain the site’s control system safely and reliably
- Review/update all control system working documents such as logic diagrams, complex loop descriptions, and cause/effect matrix
- Ensure sufficient spares are maintained based on historical system failures to ensure continued safe and reliable operations
- Support Alarm Rationalization efforts, and the monitoring of Alarm Management
- Implement and/or oversee installation and commissioning of new logic and connected devices in coordination with Operations
- Ensure safety validation testing is conducted per the agreed cycle (this will include partial stroke testing and safety system validation for plant restarts)
- Participate as required in Process Hazard Analyses and Risk Assessments
- Network with other Methanex sites to ensure standards of the control system are maintained and the latest global best practices are incorporated
- Ensures compliance with all Pressure Equipment Integrity Management (PEIM) responsibilities, relative to the role, as per the PEIM Manual
- Ensure employee and contractor compliance with Methanex policies, procedures, and applicable standards
- Train and mentor to ensure successful knowledge transfer within various disciplines throughout the organization
- Conducts all business in a manner that supports the Responsible Care® ethic
- Degree in Chemical or Electrical Engineering, a registered/certified Engineering Technologist or a certified Journeyman in Instrumentation with relevant experience.
- Minimum 5 years relevant working experience on Safety PLCs and DCS/BPCS.
Experience & Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Technical and working knowledge of control systems and change management/maintenance philosophies.
- Working knowledge of Triconex and Delta V systems.
- Working knowledge of Control system archive systems would be an asset.
- Working knowledge of PLC systems and software.
- Working knowledge of equipment specification, sizing and selection.
- Working knowledge of field instrumentation and electrical equipment.
- Superior proficiency with Microsoft Office suite of programs and web-based applications.
- Work experience within the chemical process industry would be an asset.
- Customer focused; dedicated to exceeding the expectations of internal and external customers
- Excellent written and verbal communication and listening skills
- Peer relationships; strong ability to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships, including strong team collaboration skills with diverse teams
- Drive for results; independently motivated and action-oriented, evidenced by a consistent ability to meet timelines and achieve results
- Strong time management, planning and prioritization skills demonstrated by an ability to manage multiple, sometimes competing, priorities and consistently achieve daily, weekly and monthly objectives with a high degree of accuracy.
- Decision quality; strong analytical, logical, and structured critical thinking, problem-solving and troubleshooting skills, evidenced by sound judgment and a demonstrated ability to make valuable recommendations and decisions based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom and experience.
- Personal commitment to ongoing self-development and demonstrated learning agility
Apply for Control Systems Specialist
At Methanex, we believe that having a diverse team and an inclusive workplace creates a better culture, better decisions and a better company. We are committed to a diverse organization that values different perspectives, backgrounds, skills and abilities. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.